Sunday, November 23, 2008

Like Reviewing a Unicorn...



Chuck Klosterman Reviews "Chinese Democracy"

An amazingly good read for such a monumentously long-awaited album opus 15 years in the making.

It's an intelligent and thoughtful review that is blisteringly funny and smart and empathetic and told from a true rock fan (and GnR fan's) point of view...

some particulary good lines:

"A song like "Shackler's Revenge" is initially average, until you get to the solo—then it becomes the sonic equivalent of a Russian robot wrestling a reticulating python. "

"What finally made him decide, "You know, I've weighed all my options and all their potential consequences, and I'm going with the Mexican vampire accent. This is the vision I will embrace. But only on that one line! The rest of it will just be sung like a non-dead human." Often, I don't even care if his choices work or if they fail. I just want to know what Rose hoped they would do."

"Sometimes listening to this album feels like watching the final five minutes of the Sopranos finale. There's no acceptable answer to these types of hypotheticals."

read his whole review, and see what he gave it (I completely agree, by the way!)

No comments: