Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Cooper (re)Union



This Saturday was my 10 year college reunion of the little school in the Village nobody's heard of. All in all it was a good time. Turnout was just about as low as I expected it to be (after all, Cooper Students are not really known for their common courtesies, much less actual friendship or bonding.) It was a solitary school experience, so having maybe 5 of the art students show up is I guess par for the course.

Any chance to see Theo is always fun (although I see him all the time... no need for a reunion) and of course I was excited to see Heather and Catherine and Eric and Shaun, as well as some engineer friends (Felicia, Sanjeevanee) and was disappointed that Grace (whom I spoke to last year) and Rob and Mark were MIA. Oh well, I guess I shouldn't have gotten my hopes up.

First there was a non-tour of the new academic building being erected in the footprint of the old Hewitt Building. I say non-tour because it was ludicrously uneventful. We walked inside the construction about 10 feet... stood there while the guy told us nothing, then asked if we had any QUESTIONS about the nothing he just told us, then we walked outside to the street and around the building... I could have just done that on my own (as a matter of fact, I DID do that entirely on my own a few months ago!!!)

Then we stood around (outside in the frigid element, no less) for about 2.5 hours while we waited for the actual reunion to sart, down the street at a little bar called Sophe's. Most people who WERE there just grumbled and left.

Once we hit Sophe's the atmospphere picked up alot. More people showed up for the evening event, and once the beer was flowing it all loosened up alot. Most people didn't recognize me at first (a fact I braced myself for a few moths ago) but Catherine didn't reconize me at ALL, actually ignoring me a bit while I tried to say "hi" to her 3 times, then doing a double take, freaked out and laughed and jumped on me with a giant hug (nearly knocked me over) when she realized who I was!!!

Heather walking in, and across the room, didn't recognize me, but saw me standing at the bar rapidly shaking my leg in the nervous way I always have, and she came over cautiously until she saw it was in fact me, then just lit up like a Christmas Tree with smiles and hugs.

We all mingled for a while, then as the evening wore on we broke out for dinner with Theo, Heather and Patrick, and Alicia. It was nice to actually sit and talk and catch up (although I feel like I drank too much to actually talk clearly)...

After dinner, it was back to Upstate NY for Heather and Patrick, back to Park Slope for Theo, and back home for Alicia and I. I regret not keeping more in touch over the past 10 years, but it sure was nice to actually see these folks and I am glad to hear how well most of them are doing in their respective careers and lives.

And to all of those who DIDN'T show? That's ok... we just talked shit about you anyway...

Well, see you in 10 more years I guess!

Download: Beach Boys: Be True To Your School

Download: Foo Fighters: (How good it is to) See You

Download: The Hold Steady: Certain Songs

Download: John Mellencamp: Jack and Diane

Download: Hole: Rock Star

Download: Mike Ness: Don't Think Twice (Dylan)

enjoy.

No comments: