Friday, September 5, 2008

Guest DJ #001



Feedback has started to trickle in regarding some of the music postings on this here blog!! We created a few more obsessed fans for The National, a few others are going to check out Everclear and Cracker playing a free show in New Jersey this weekend, and the other day I just got my first submission of tracks I had not heard, suggesting that they might be blog-fodder!

Well, without further delay, let's start a new (hopefully recurring) episode of "User Submitted" tracks, this first one being from Bob L. in Baltimore.

First up, we have Neko Case, with her FINE cover of "Train From Kansas City" first done by the 60's girl group The Shangrala's. This song was just right up my alley... very hard to not sing along with. She combines punk's do it yourself ethic, a strong business sense, and frequently infuses humorous narratives into her live sets. She's touring this summer (mostly across the Southwest and West Coast) but if you have the chance, check her out!

Download: Neko Case: Train From Kansas City

Next up was a real surprise for me, with an artist I had not heard, which just blew me away, Sam Roberts. The track suggested (and posted) is the second track from his latest CD "We Were Born In A Flame" called "Where Have All The Good People Gone?"... once I listened to it (and really liked it) I poked around some more and found another track which I loved as well, called 'Hard Road." Check them out, I'm sure you'll enjoy them!

Download: Sam Roberts: Where Have All The Good People Gone?

Download: Sam Roberts: Hard Road

Just for fun, I am adding to this playlist, my favorite Jack Johnson song (look for many future posts with HIM featured) called "Where'd All The Good People Go?" since the titles are so similar, I thought it would be a fun counterpoint to Sam. Working in broadcast television, this song could simply not be any truer. If you hate the evil, corporate, base, crass divisive and obscene direction the media has taken over the last decade, then you will LOVE this song!

Download: Jack Johnson: Good People

And to finish it up in a fun way, our guest blogger (enjoying my last x-files related posting with Bree Sharp) suggested I post another great one by her, a fantastic cover of "The Boys of Summer." Really really fun.

Download: Bree Sharp: The Boys of Summer

There you have it, our first guest DJ! (With a bit of editorial on my end! Ha!) Thanks again for the submission, please send me more! If there's something YOU'VE been listening to and loving, and think the rest of us should hear it, shoot me an email or leave me a comment in the blog, and I would be thrilled to post it! After all, community interaction is really the entire point of these blogs, no?

As Always, Enjoy!

No comments: