Monday, August 25, 2008

National treasure



So I know I'm late to this party, but Brooklyn's The National are continuously amazing me with each new nugget I hear from them. A favorite of blogs, festivals, hipsters and critics alike, I still managed to not hear them till well after their 4th(?) album "Boxer" was already on every critic's top ten pick.

Well if you are anything like me, and have put off finding them out, delay no further! RUN (do not walk) to the store and buy buy buy "Boxer." Then when you're done, buy their others as well. Then see them live. Then buy a shirt. Then tell your friends.

Their opening track "Fake Empire" is one off the most beautiful and moving songs I've heard in years, and standout tracks like "Start a War" and "Apartment Story" smack of 80s alt pop but with a remarkably mature, modern and edgy sound that doesn't the least bit sound derivative or cheezy. Simply put, these guys are smart.

Here's a link to hear "Fake Empire" from their album...

Download: The National "Fake Empire"

But the REAL treat for your listening pleasure is their 2008 Lollapalooza set, in pretty great audio quality. I apologize in advance that it's not cut up into separate tracks, but instead one looong mp3... but hey, beggars can't be choosers! Download it, listen to it, and leave a reply if you love it as much as I do (well, leave a reply even if you DON'T love it, too... I just want to know that someone out there is actually reading!). Here's the link:

Download: The National: Live at Lollapalooza 2008

As always, Enjoy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, I just sent out your blog to a bunch of friends. Hopefully someone will leave a comment for you. :)